I caught wind of the latest 80’s remake and it is (drumroll please) The Smurf Movie. I just don’t think that the Smurfs are meaty enough to hold the attention of today’s youth. And the plot doesn’t sound so hot. Don’t get me wrong, I like a lot of these remakes, but why can’t Hollywood come out with something original?
We were simpler back in the 80’s, we feathered our hair-none of this fancy Japanese hair straightening or even weaves made of real human hair (whose hair is it anyway?). The differences are even more evident when comparing the video games of yesteryear, Pac-Man for example, and today’s, let’s just say the brutal action-packed God of War III (you really feel like a God of War when you are playing it). They are pretty different and I don’t see the Y-generation (or are we past that generation already-I can’t keep up) really loving the simplicity of the Smurfs…plus the story looks pretty lame.
Don’t even look at cell phones now vs then. Seriously, please see this picture showing everything that you had to own back in 1980 (ignore the size of the items even, just look at the number of them) and now your Smartphone can replace all of those items. I think that I count about 20 items depicted here, that isn’t even including all the information available on the internet.
I digress….The Smurfs Plot: When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world and into ours — in fact, smack dab in the middle of Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down.
- Jonathan Winters as Papa Smurf
- Katy Perry as Smurfette Good idea putting her in a voice only part b/c her performances are like watching a robot dance…not even a good robot like on Small Wonder, I am talking C3PO style robot.
- Alan Cumming as Gutsy Smurf There was a Gutsy Smurf????
- George Lopez as Grouchy Smurf
- Gary Basaraba as Hefty Smurf
- Anton Yelchin as Clumsy Smurf
- Fred Armisen as Brainy Smurf
- John Oliver as Vanity Smurf
- Paul Reubens as Jokey Smurf Really PeeWee Herman??? More like Strokey Smurf
- Kenan Thompson as Greedy Smurf
- B. J. Novak as Baker Smurf
- Jeff Foxworthy as Handy Smurf
- Wolfgang Puck as Chef Smurf Was there an old school Chef Smurf?